How to Use Blogging to Improve Your Online Reputation
It may sound crazy, but it’s a proven fact in the SEO world that a blog really does make a difference. According to Search Engine Journal, blogs are huge in bringing customers or potential employers to a site – and that means that a blog can also be a good way to control what content related to you is visible on search engine results pages (SERPs).
Something as simple as starting a blog for yourself – particularly a blog related to an industry you work, have worked, or want to work in – can help you create positive content for yourself that fixes your online reputation by pushing negative content off of SERPs for major search engines like Google.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when starting a blog to repair a damaged online reputation:
- Consider using a blogging platform like WordPress.
- Platforms like WordPress or Tumblr allow you to put all of your content in one place and present it professionally without paying for expensive design services.
- Because of these sites’ social-media like features, you can also promote your blog for free on-site and connect with other bloggers who may be interested in your content.
- We recommend WordPress because it’s easy to use, easy to optimize for SEO, and functional enough to create an entire website with – not just a blog. We also use WordPress for our site!
- Register a relevant domain name for the blog.
- If you’re worried about searches for your name turning up negative results, register the blog to a domain name that matches your name (or business name).
- If you already have a business site, start the blog on that – in addition to giving you opportunities to improve your reputation, it will likely improve the SERP standings of your business.
- Create new content regularly.
- Starting the blog is the easy part – filling it up is the time-consuming and challenging part.
- Try to update your blog at least once a week. Make sure all the content is relevant to you/your business, positive, well-written, and optimized for search engines.
- Share your blog posts on your social media accounts.
- This is a great way to get your blog some initial traffic, and can also help boost both your blog and your social media presence in search engine rankings – which can push negative content back to pages 2 and 3 where it belongs!
- As your blog grows, consider writing guest posts for other blogs.
- If you have the clout to do this, it can be another way of getting your name attached to some positive content, and pushing that negative content even farther into obscurity.
In conjunction with press releases, a major social media presence, transparency, positive change, and other actions and internet properties you or your reputation enhancement professionals may take or create, a blog can be a huge part of a successful plan for fixing your online reputation.